Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Prosperity Gospel - Is It Need or Greed?


Do you struggle when you come across preachers who press the crowd for big donations? Sometimes the need is great. During those times it is essential that we know the speaker and their philosophy. Are they preaching any other gospel except the gospel of Jesus?

If we aren't making Christ our focal point, we are merely subscribing to self-help or how-to get rich quick schemes. The apostle Paul talked about preaching anything but Jesus a few times. He even considered all things except the gospel dung!


We can take a lesson from King Lemuel: Proverbs 30:8-9 First, help me never to tell a lie.
Second, give me neither poverty nor riches! Give me just enough to satisfy my needs. For if I grow rich, I may deny you and say, “Who is the LORD?” And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God’s holy name.

Doesn't God want us to have some enjoyment?  Of course he does. Here is a key verse: Ecc. 2:24
Nothing is better for a man than that he should eat and drink, and that his soul should enjoy good in his labor. This also, I saw, was from the hand of God. But notice there is one key word there. It is that we should enjoy life in our labor, our work.

*Philippians 4:13 And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.

*I Timothy 6:10  For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

*III John 1:2 Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.


 

 

 

No comments: