Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Voice

As a new believer in Jesus I was drawn to other believers. But it wasn't long before I found myself  baffled by some of the conversations. Very often I would hear someone say, "The Lord said....", or "The Lord told me..."  I was so puzzled.  How could Jesus, who is in heaven speak to these people?
Could He, would He speak to me? Indeed He would! But it took me a long time to find out how to hear that precious voice for myself. I remember talking to my pastor, (at that time), and telling her," I want to hear Jesus speak to me.  I mean directly to me, like He does to these other people." Her reply was very simple. "Sister Mary Jane read your Bible." My response was, "I know I need to read my Bible but that's not what I mean." I guess in my mind I was looking for something really supernatural.

First we have to understand something. God speaks to us through His word. If you have ever been around someone from a foreign land, unless you speak their language, their words make no sense at all!  Think of it this way, God's language is His word.

Fortunately I got hooked up with a friend who truly did disciple me.  She taught me the importance of Bible Study, (II Timothy 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that doesn't need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. And scripture memory, (Psalms 119:11 Thy word I have hidden in my heart that I might not sin against thee.) 



Prayer: Lord teach us Your Word so we can hear Your voice. In Jesus' name amen.

 

*John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.

*John 1:14 So the Word became human and made his home among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen his glory, the glory of the Father’s one and only Son.

No comments: