Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Sarcasm: A hiding place for anger


There are many words that are connected to sarcasm. I won't exhaust the idea. But there are a few characteristics that I will mention. A) a sharply, ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark B) mocking, contemptuous, or ironic language intended to convey scorn or insult. C) harsh or bitter derision. (Hiding place #1)

A smart alec is defined as :  a person whose sarcastic, wise-cracking or humorous manner is delivered in an offensive, obnoxious or cocky way. (Hiding place #2)

When I was a child I remember at times being called a "smart alec." Usually that kind of behavior was addressed and disciplined immediately, as it was considered rude and disrespectful. Many times we use sarcasm and even think its funny. But I find myself wondering, if it was not okay as a child, why is it okay as adults?  Can you see how sarcasm might hide anger?

 Let's take a look at anger. Anger can be defined as a feeling of annoyance or antagonism as the result of some real or supposed grievance; rage; wrath. And used as a verb: to make one angry; enrage .
So what causes anger?

 Proverbs 15:1 "Says this," A soft word deflects anger but harsh words make tempers flare. Well there it is! Harsh words, and cutting remarks. Isn't that what sarcasm is? They are certainly not and kind words and kind words deflect a anger. 

 

We  are instructed by Paul in Ephesians 4:13 and again in Colossians to get rid of anger, bitterness and harsh words.

Our words should build up and edify others, not discourage or tear down.*

I want to pay attention to the words I  speak and the words I  hear.

This is my prayer : Psalms 19:14 May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer

* Proverbs 18:21 The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.
Proverbs 18:19 An offended friend is harder to win back than a fortified city.
Arguments separate friends like a gate locked with bars.

I Corinthians 13:4-58 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud  

It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

 
 
 

No comments: