Friday, March 14, 2014

Freedom From Anger



He that the Son sets free is free indeed!

Even as Christians we struggle daily. We struggle with anger, profanity, over-eating, smoking etc.
And please let me state I do not have a handle on all of this. I am still learning. The thing that I am learning and re-learning is about anger. Anger is a nasty animal!  It is a joy-killer and can truly spread like a poison.

I have  experienced this first hand. You have a hard day and you got really mad at someone. The next thing that happens is you bring it home. You snap at your spouse or kids.  You might even yell at your dog. And unless that anger gets checked, we are apt to have an argument over something that otherwise wouldn't be a big deal,  feelings get hurt and on and on it goes.

But I have also seen this happen. I have been at work or the grocery and yes, at home too. Someone is angry or frustrated. It is written all over their face. But a kind word, and a smile go a long, long way. It can completely change the atmosphere. Proverbs 15:1 Says, "A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare." The last thing we feel like doing is being kind!

 It's tough, but we can do it by the power of the Holy Spirit and the word that is written on our hearts. Remember the fruit of the spirit is.. self-control.* Proverbs 16:32 Tells us that a person who is slow to get angry and is self-controlled is better than some one who conquers a city. It is a powerful thing to be self-controlled. 

 We can allow the Holy Spirit to guide us. How do we do that?
Sometimes its just as easy as a quick, "Lord Help me!" prayer. In fact for me, most of the time it is! But we also need the power of the Word in our hearts. Psalms 119:11  I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Search the scriptures for verses about anger and memorize them. Then the Holy Spirit can bring them to your memory and teach you how to respond.*


Don't get discouraged! We will all mess up!  None of us will get this perfect this side of heaven. Even the Apostle Paul attested to this: Philippians 3:13-14 I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.


So keep pressing on! And remember He that the Son sets free is free indeed!




*John 14:26





2 comments:

Evie said...

Thank you for sharing this. It really helped me.

lessonstoshare-mjroberts.blogspot.com said...

You are most welcome!