Saturday, March 15, 2014

Power of the Tongue

When my husband and I were first married we had a pastor who kept a large pair of scissors in plain view.  They were to remind us to "tame" our tongue.

Here is passage that shows the power of the tongue:

James 3:2-5  NLT Indeed, we all make many mistakes. For if we could control our tongues, we would be perfect and could also control ourselves in every other way.  We can make a large horse go wherever we want by means of a small bit in its mouth. And a small rudder makes a huge ship turn wherever the pilot chooses to go, even though the winds are strong. In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes grand speeches. But a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire
.
  This passage show how the tongue controls the body. What we say is directly related to the path we take. And even a little word can cause a great fire or seriously wound a heart.

Jesus said that a good person produces good things from the treasury of a good heart, and an evil person produces evil things from the treasury of an evil heart. What you say flows from what is in your heart. (Luke 6:45 NLT)

Did you catch what causes the good or the evil produce? It is what is in the treasury of the heart!

Here are some ways for us to control our tongues:

#1. Pray about it. Ps.19:14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.

#2 Memorize key scriptures  Psalms 119:11 I have hidden your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
 
#3. Ask for help in finding key scriptures if you are having trouble. 1 Peter 2:2 Like newborn babies, you must crave pure spiritual milk so that you will grow into a full experience of salvation. Cry out for this nourishment,

No comments: