You Can't Force Fruit!

 

You can plant in a sunny spot. You can make sure there is plenty of water and fertilize regularly but you cannot make fruit grow. Now think about spiritual fruit. I have always wondered why I struggled to bear fruit consistently.  The secret is in abiding.  In the same way a branch needs nourishment from the vine, we need constant connection with the Jesus through the Holy Spirit. This is also a work of grace because fruit cannot be forced. It's part of the sanctification process and it takes time.

 I always thought as a new believer that I would just supernaturally be at peace all the time, I thought I would automatically be loving and kind and patient and gentle. Instead I failed consistently because I didn't realize how to "walk in the Spirit." 

I didn't realize how my flesh works against the Holy Spirit. (See Galatians 5:16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.)I didn't realize I needed to be filled/controlled by the Holy Spirit. Ephesians 5: 17 Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 18 And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit,) When a person is drunk with wine, he is essentially controlled by it. Speech is effected, walking and balance are affected and for sure reasoning is. Instead be filled/controlled by the Holy Spirit. That requires our cooperation with Him. (Romans 8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. 13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.)

How do we do that? Acknowledging His presence. You don't have to always pray out loud. He already knows about every thought we have word we speak so He is never shocked or surprised. There is no place you can go where He is not.  (See Psalm 139) But I do believe there are places we can go and things that we may take part in where He is not comfortable. I recommend the book, "My Heart Christ's Home", by Robert Munger.

(Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.)



Comments