Abiding

 



Your feelings are real but they are not dependable. The prophet Jeremiah said that the heart is very wicked and deceitful. That sounds harsh but if we pause for a moment we can see that many things affect our feelings. Hunger, fear, pain, wealth, poverty, health, relationships and desires of any kind affect how we feel.


I like to think of feelings as indicator lights on a car. When we are driving along and no indicator lights are blinking things are going well. But when the indicator lights start blinking something is indeed wrong and needs to be checked out. 


King David handled it by talking to himself. He said, “Why so downcast o my soul? Hope in God!” One of the things that I love about King David is that he was known as a man after God’s own heart. He was imperfect as we all are. Which so clearly demonstrates that there is indeed hope for each of us.


In John 15:5 Jesus said, “I am the vine, you are the branches. He  who abides in Me and I in him bears much fruit; for apart from me you can do nothing.”


So when feelings come that unsettle us  it’s time to pause and pray. This is abiding. Flowers don’t have to try to bloom. Fruit isn’t forced. It appears because it abides in the vine.