Thursday, May 29, 2014

Childlike or Childish

At first the terms childlike and childish seem very similar. But delving a little deeper we can see strong differences.

Jesus said that unless we received the kingdom of God like a little child we could not enter in.(Mark 10:15)

The dictionary defines childlike as: like a child as in innocence, frankness, or  childlike trust.

Some synonyms are: young, candid, simple, pure, guileless, open, or unpretentious.

The ending  like holds positive connotations. Therefore childlike refers to characteristics that are desirable and admirable.

These characteristics we  must keep as adults if we hope to enter the kingdom of God.  For instance it is possible to grow into an adult and still be frank, candid and have a pure, humble faith in Jesus.

Childish is defined as: of, like or befitting a child, foolishly, weak, or silly

Childishness implies behavior that may be okay for a child but is not appropriate for an adult.

We are to receive the kingdom of God like a little child but we can't remain children lest we become childish.


We must grow in Christ:
 I Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word that you may grow.

II Peter 1:5-8 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Be encouraged because the Lord loves you!
 
Proverbs 3:12 For the LORD corrects those he loves, just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights!


Now it is time to put away our toys!

I. Corinthians 13:11   When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things.

Prayer: Abba Father, please help me to keep my faith simple and humble like a little child, and please help me see when I am behaving childishly. Help me to grow and be productive in your kingdom. I love your and ask this in Your wonderful name! Amen!

No comments: